During the 2019 legislative session, the Minnesota Legislature designated PELSB as the administrator of a grant to support efforts for teacher mentorship and retention of effective teachers.
The Teacher Mentorship and Retention of Effective Teachers Grant is designed to help develop teacher mentoring programs for teachers new to the profession or district, including teaching residents, teachers of color, teachers who are American Indian, teachers in license shortage areas, teachers with special needs, or experienced teachers in need of peer coaching.
The grant application is open to:
- School districts;
- Groups of school districts;
- Coalitions of districts, teachers, and teacher education institutions; or
- Coalitions of schools, teachers, or nonlicensed educators.
The timeline to apply for a Teacher Mentorship and Retention Grant for the 2020 fiscal year is:
- November 22: PELSB will hold an informational meeting about the Teacher Mentorship and Retention Grant to provide updates and answer questions about the application and grant selection process. The meeting will be held from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the PELSB Board Room, 1021 Bandana Blvd. E., Suite 222, St. Paul, MN 55108.
- November 29: Prospective grant applicants must submit an Intent to Apply to PELSB Grant Manager Saba Teshome by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 18: Teacher Mentorship and Retention Grant applications are due by 4:30 p.m.
PELSB is encouraging all interested districts, groups, and coalitions to consider applying for the Teacher Mentorship and Retention Grant. Additionally, PELSB encourages members of the public to share this call for grant applications with any interested individuals.
Contact Saba Teshome by email at email@example.com with any questions.