The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) is hosting a series of information meetings around the state to discuss the Volkswagen settlement in Minnesota and to seek input on how the state should invest in the next round of funds.
In 2016, Volkswagen and the federal government settled allegations that VW violated the federal Clean Air Act. As part of the settlement, states are eligible to receive funds to pay part of the cost of projects to reduce emissions from diesel vehicles and to install electric-vehicle charging stations. Minnesota’s share of the settlement is $47 million. In 2018, the MPCA finalized Minnesota’s plan for using the first phase (2018-2019) of funds to improve the state’s air quality.
States are receiving funds to reduce diesel pollution caused by vehicles violating air emission standards. Funds can be spent to replace diesel vehicles and equipment and install electric vehicle charging stations.
The Volkswagen settlement meetings are schedule for:
- Tuesday, June 4 (2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. OR 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) — Marshall Lyon County Library, 201 C Street, Marshall
- Wednesday, June 5 (2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. OR 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. ) — Wood Lake Meeting Center, 210 Wood Lake Drive SE, Rochester
- Wednesday, June 12 (2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. OR 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) — Bemidji State University, Bridgeman Hall 100, 1512 Birchmont Drive NE, Bemidji
- Thursday, June 13 (2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. OR 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) — MPCA Duluth Office, 525 Lake Avenue South, Suite 400, Duluth
- Monday, June 17 (6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) — Robert J. Jones Urban Research and Outreach-Engagement Center (UROC), 2001 Plymouth Avenue North, Minneapolis
- Tuesday, June 25 (6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) — Dakota County Burnhaven Library, 1101 West County Road 42, Burnsville
Direct questions to the MPCA at email@example.com or 800-657-3864.
See www.mnmsba.org/Portals/0/VW-SettlementMeetings-June2019.pdf or www.pca.state.mn.us/vw for more information.