A glance at Week 9 of the Legislative Session: May 2-6
This week had some history-making, conferees were named, and we are steps closer to the end of the 89th Minnesota Legislature. There are 18 days until session ends. We will take you through this week’s results …
The House had an informal hearing on crumb-rubber turf. This issue had been brought up on the House Floor last week as an amendment and did not pass, but did receive a courtesy hearing in House Government Operations and Elections Policy Committee.
History was made Tuesday morning as Aaron Vande Linde received Senate confirmation as the director of Minnesota’s School Trust Lands. It was wonderful to hear the history of how we finally got to this point. Visit https://youtu.be/C42xgKFwcEM to view footage from Tuesday’s hearing. The video includes testimony from Director Vande Linde, Sen. Chuck Wiger and MSBA’s Denise Dittrich. (Dittrich’s remarks begin at the 19:00 mark of the video.)
The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) continued its topic meetings regarding the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) this week, discussing foster care, homeless youth and Title programs.
A look ahead to next week
* Please watch for MSBA’s Legislative Action Alerts next week. We’ll be asking you to send an email to MSBA. We will gather all those email messages and hand-deliver them to legislative leadership and conference committee members. Your participation is really important! Please plan to take a few moments to make an impact for students for a long time!
* 10 a.m. Monday, May 9: The Tax Omnibus Bill (HF3931) will be heard in the Senate Taxes Committee in Minnesota Senate Building (Room 1100).
* 11 a.m. Monday, May 9: Join MSBA for the Monday Morning Coffee conference call for the latest news from the Capitol. See http://www.mnmsba.org/LegislativeNews for call instructions.
* 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 10: HF 3931 will be taken from the table to allow for amendments. Public testimony will be taken once all amendments have been offered. If you would like to testify, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 2 p.m. Wednesday, May 11: The Minnesota Department of Education’s Every Student Succeeds Act Topic Meeting on “Social-Emotional Learning, School Climate, and Healthy Learning Environments” at the MDE office in Roseville (Conference Center B, Room 15). See http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/SchSup/ESSA/MDE035276.
* 10 a.m. Thursday, May 12: Minnesota Department of Education’s Every Student Succeeds Act Topic Meeting on “Family Engagement” in Roseville (Conference Center B, Room 16). See http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/SchSup/ESSA/MDE035276.
* Visit http://www.mnmsba.org/Advocacy for the latest House and Senate education bill introductions.