MSBA Legislative Action Alert!
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
- Action need from: School board members and superintendents
- Action: Ask legislative leaders to renegotiate their budgets to provide $45 million of the $900 million state budget surplus to the general education funding formula.
- When: Immediately
- Why: Current budget targets do NOT provide enough ongoing funds for school districts.
- How: Call or email leadership TODAY (please see contact information and sample email message below).
In the last two weeks, the Senate and House passed their supplemental budgets. Neither budget included enough additional revenue for education to include on the formula. Rather, several one-time grant opportunities received funds. While this funding is valuable, it does not provide for the ongoing needs of school districts.
The top three responses of a recent MSBA survey of superintendents indicated if 1 percent was provided on the general education formula it would help:
- provide digital literacy through technology initiatives, hardware and 1-to-1 devices,
- provide curriculum and textbooks,
- and add critical support services and staff (including, paraprofessionals, English language teachers, school counselors and school psychologists).
Now is the time we need to put pressure on leadership as they begin to renegotiate budgets to provide funding for the ongoing needs of our school districts.
Contact information and sample email message
Gov. Mark Dayton: Call 651-201-3400 or 800-657-3717 OR fill out contact form
Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk: Call 651-296-8881 OR fill out contact form
Speaker of the House Kurt Daudt: Call 651-296-5364 OR send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your work this session. I am reaching out to you today to ask you to continue the efforts and reconsider the education targets.
Please provide $45 million of the $900 million surplus to the general education formula.
An increase in funding would allow our school district to_________________________________.
Please continue to invest in all Minnesota students. Thank you for your service and your anticipated attention to this issue.
(Your Name, Title, School District)