14 Days of Advocacy … Ready, Set, Go!
Join us for “14 Days of Advocacy 4 Students!” MSBA is dedicating the month of February to advocacy. Throughout the month you will find suggested activities — that are both short and sweet — to help you and your colleagues bring light to issues that impact our schools.
Please visit http://www.mnmsba.org/AdvocacyMonth to view 14 activities for you to do throughout the month. We will be sharing one activity each Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Print out the calendar at www.mnmsba.org/Portals/0/PDFs/14DaysOfAdvocacy.pdf and have it handy on your desk, or put “To-Dos” in your electronic calendar.
If you miss a day, don’t worry, just do it when you have time. The important thing is to try new things, share information and get new information. As school board members, approximately 850,000 students are relying on your voice in your district and at the Capitol.
Social media is a great way to get and share information. Find MSBA on both Facebook and Twitter. Follow your legislators on social media — it’s a great place to learn about events and work in their district. Please encourage other board members to participate. Advocacy works best when many people know the issues and share their stories.
If you don’t have a Facebook account, you can sign up for one in a few steps:
Go to www.facebook.com or download Facebook from the App Store on your mobile device.
1. Once you see the Sign Up form, complete the requested information. Then click on the Sign Up button.
2. Once you sign up, you’ll need to confirm your email address or phone number. Facebook will send you either an email or a text message to help you confirm your account.
Need more help? Visit https://youtu.be/R1UvrgtCXUE to view a “How to create a Facebook account” on YouTube.
Twitter is another social media networking site. Tweets (posts composed of 140 characters or less) are shared. You can choose who you follow and control who follows you.
To create a Twitter account:
1. Go to www.Twitter.com or download Twitter from the App Store on your mobile device.
2. Once you see the Sign Up form, fill out your name, email and password. Then click “Sign Up for Twitter.”
Need more help? Visit https://youtu.be/SBDYYGER5iM to view a “Twitter Tutorial for Beginners” on YouTube.
- We are excited to share MSBA’s 2016 Legislative Priorities. We will be working hard for you at the Capitol again this year. Click here to view our Legislative Priorities.
- Consider participating in social media to share information with your constituents.
- We are also interested in seeing YOUR legislative platform. Please send you legislative platform to MSBA’s Kim Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.