The MSBA Delegate Assembly — comprised of 117 public school board member Delegates — approved 14 new legislative resolutions during the Delegate Assembly conference December 5 in Minneapolis.
These new resolutions will be added to MSBA’s Legislative Policies. These policies establish the direction of MSBA’s lobbying efforts on the behalf of public school board members at the state Capitol in St. Paul.
Delegates passed the following resolutions to urge the Minnesota Legislature to:
- Fully fund any expansion of early education programs
- Provide General Education Disparity Aid
- Support seven year funding timeframe for English Learners programs
- Expand the use of long-term facilities maintenance revenue
- Reduce the calculation for seasonal/recreational property in the tax base used for the long-term facilities maintenance programs
- Make a permanent exemption for sales tax and school districts at Minnesota State High School League events
- Support a more equitable approach to agricultural taxes for school bond referendums
- Merge the Teacher Development and Evaluation with the Alternative Teacher Professional Pay System
- Adjust licensure requirements for science teachers
- Repeal M.S. 123B.095 (“Vacancy in the Office of School Board Member”)
- Expand Innovation Zone waivers
- Expand the teacher-loan forgiveness program
- Explore alternative approaches to the Higher Learning Commission’s clarification on credentialing for Concurrent Enrollment programs
- Create regional task forces to resolve faculty requirements for Concurrent Enrollment programs
Visit www.mnmsba.org/Portals/0/PDFs/DAResolutionResults2015.pdf to view the voting results and more detail for each resolution.
Visit www.mnmsba.org/Portals/0/PDFs/MSBAResolutions2015.pdf for background information on each resolution.