School board members across the state overwhelmingly supported a Workers’ Compensation resolution December 6 during the MSBA Delegate Assembly. The resolution addresses multiple issues to help control the costs of workers’ compensation insurance.
Following are the five positions related to the workers’ compensation cost containment resolution:
1. Support the use of the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Council (WCAC) system to consider proposals for medical cost containment reforms.
2. Oppose expansion of Workers’ Compensation and related health insurance benefits.
3. Support the Workers’ Compensation Reinsurance Association (WCRA).
4. Support modifying state statutes to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) events involving several affected parties as one occurrence.
5. Support legislation that would disallow the “stacking” of public employee retirement benefits and Workers’ Compensation benefits.
This is a complex resolution that simply discourages increased costs for school districts. MSBA will continue to work to keep down costs of workers’ compensation insurance.